Wednesday

TIME'S INVISIBLE INK

My father wrote this poem for me in his self-published poetry book, Time's Invisible Ink, shortly before his death. It is an ode to our relationship, and more than anything else--an ode to my love of travel.

TIME'S INVISIBLE INK

for Naomi

It took a long time to navigate the map
Folded as it was and tucked into unexplored
Regions where destinations are never reached
Sliced through by creased longitudes and latitudes
I discovered your wandering equatorial moods
Jungles teeming with screeching figures of speech
Tunneling all the way from Java to Manhattan
Falling over the edge into sublime transcendence
At the juncture of Fate and Happenstance
A place I can't find without you leading me there
Beyond what's known as the Tropic of Amaretto
Washed up on beaches agleam in your eyes
Always looming on horizons amid vanishing points
Dissolved in time's invisible ink

 --Gordon Bishop


© Gordon Bishop, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment